Sunday, June 02, 2013

Parental Advisory Request.

When we moved to our apartment, we were thrilled that there was a playground right out our front door. We also found out that it was built just last Fall! As it started getting warmer, the kids started to come out to play at the park more often. I was excited that the kids would have so many friends to play with. I quickly realized that there was a big problem with it all. No parental supervision.

Here's the thing...we live in the projects. Granted, they're in Eagan, so they aren't in "the hood", but, they are "the projects" nonetheless. There are easily over a hundred families in the dozen different apartment buildings. Seems like most of them also have a few children each. On a good day, there are 20+ different kids playing outside. Usually, it's just Jim and/or me and maybe another parent. Needless to say, it gets pretty chaotic at times. There are a few kids that are trouble makers and are constantly fighting or being little shits...I have no problem telling these kids to knock it off or go home. "I'm going to get my mom!" Please do. I'd love to tell her that she needs to watch her kids! It's to the point that even if I was comfortable letting my kids go to the park without me, I wouldn't do it because some of the other kids running around there are too naughty/mean.
 

Today Jim brought the kids down to play for a little bit while I made brunch. Fiona came up the stairs crying because she got hurt. Then Jim came upstairs pissed, and explained what happened. Somebody took a jump rope and strung across the bottom of one of the slides...Fiona went down it and got clothes lined pretty bad by the rope. Another case of no parental supervision. Hopefully if there was some, the parent would say "don't do that, that's dangerous!" Then again, who knows...people can be so freaking stupid. Problem is, my child could have been seriously hurt. It's bad enough that she's got scrapes and marks all over her neck and chest...


 
It's going to be a long summer. Hopefully I am able to make it before I go off on somebody for neglecting their children or not picking up their dog's poop or throwing their alcohol bottles on the grass by the park. I can't handle this crap. Somebody buy me some land outside the cities...it's time to move.

No comments: